Sunday, September 27, 2009

sailing abroad the grand open sea

Upon casting off, I found myself instantly in love, fascinatingly drawn in; I found I could not take my eyes off the ocean. I had always known of my affections for her salty kisses that enveloped me upon entering into her mists, but I’d never really relished the amount of joy I drew simply by gazing upon her.

This is the boat I rode upon. For now she rides with no name and a captain that is still rather green, though growing each day. I suspect we are all captains of our own vessels that are still rather new to us, and we also enlist the help of friends and family to help us steer our course and arrive to our native boat harbor safely without dinging up the boat too badly. As we ventured into the open sea, a weathered sailor, our young captain, his hanai mom and her kin, and I; we took turns steering the boat, learning the various names for various parts. I’ve discovered I’m rather in love with sailing. I understand why people choose to give up all their worldly belongings to venture on quests to sail around the world with only that which will fit on their boats and not a penny more.

There is certainly something invigorating about being able to leave everything behind at a moments notice, knowing everything that is of any importance is right there with you. Men who have not sailed must, it is as John Denver says “he'd be a poorer man if he never saw an eagle fly." i agree in the sense that he'd be a poorer man if he never sailed the ocean blue.



No comments:

Post a Comment